Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's so quiet.

It's early. I love the quiet in the pre-dawn hours at my house. All that I can hear right now is the humming of the furnace, the clicking of the keys on the keyboard and the soft snoring of the puppy who is never far from my side.

Chloe and Terry are at hockey. The game today was at 6:30am. Which means I have just a little over an hour before this quiet is shattered. When they come home and the day really begins; loud requests for help getting dressed, Hannah waking up and needing me NOW, my Dad and Vanna coming over to take the girls to Tim Hortons, Terry wondering when I'm going grocery shopping. I love them all so very much, but man are they loud. But they are mine. And, I am theirs. And I'm so very lucky.

I have high hopes for this weekend. Hopes that I get into that craft room and continue plugging away at it. I should have a new picture for you by mid-week. Shall I promise?

I struggle with staying on task, as I'm sure every person does from time to time. It's only gotten worse since having children. It's far harder to immerse yourself in a job when you know you're going to have to meet a need at any given moment. And just when you forget the world around you and dive into things, you remember that it's 4pm and you haven't even thought about dinner yet.

I have a secret weapon that helps me stay on task. That keeps me from ending up in the bedroom folding laundry and wondering how I got there when I'd started out sorting spices in the kitchen, or scrubbing a toilet, or doing dishes, or...you get the picture. I wander. And some days it means I get a lot done, but most days it leaves me feeling scattered and unaccomplished. So yes, back to the weapon. It's not unique. I think I first heard of it on Flylady. Actually, just yesterday I stumbled upon an article discussing it and I think it says it so well. Check it out

No comments: